9AM – My brother dropped me off at the nature center. (We listened to Mojo in the Morning talking about a dad who wasn’t willing to pay for his 21-year-old son to go on their family vacation…interesting 😉 )
10AM – Ann asked me if I was a registered voter. Despite having voted in the presidential election using an absentee ballot, I checked online https://webapps.sos.state.mi.us/MVIC/ to be sure. (Spoiler: duh Jennie, you are one!). I signed a paper petition (probably my first!) dealing with a hotel and/or aquatic center being built over a park, which I think is very relevant to the theme of human development being at odds with economic interests and, more importantly, the environment. (This last sentence has a lot of gerunds, yikes.)
Overheard at the nature center – Child: “Is that a turtle? It’s adorable!”
~2:30PM – I don’t know why this took me so long, but I’m finally relatively done with all the calculations and math involved with the chemical testing.
Here are my results:
6/27/17 Site #1 = 76.43010753 || 7/11/17 Site #1 = 78.15053763 || Avg. = 77.29032258
6/28/17 Site #2 = 80.13978495 || 7/11/17 Site #2 = 82.12903226 || Avg. = 81.13440861
6/29/17 Site #3 = 76.43010753 || 7/12/17 Site #3 = 76.66666667 || Avg. = 76.5483871
6/30/17 Site #4 = 81.6344086 || 7/13/17 Site #4 = 78.93548387|| Avg. = 80.28344624
Overall Avg. = 78.81451613
These are all of the adjusted Overall Water Quality indices. The values are all “Good“!
These numbers (though maybe shortened to two significant figures) and the overall result will be great to display in the exhibit 🙂
Yay today has been productive! I’m still deciding how to show the results of the physical testing, but it’s looking like I might just list the species I found at each site. I wish I could calculate a stream quality score, but I didn’t survey enough macroinvertebrates to give an accurate result (darn you, fish!). I take back the last bit though, because I think the fish species will be interesting to display, and I learned a lot from the fish survey last Friday. To make this more clear, I calculated a tentative stream quality score using what I found at Site #1 on 7/5/17; this was 6.2. A poor score is <19, so technically the part of the stream I tested would have poor stream quality, but the reason why is probably because I didn’t sample enough macroinvert’s!
Side note: I think it’s really interesting that I’ve used chemistry, biology, and mathematics over the course of this internship!
3PM – I’m meeting with Christina to discuss the exhibit.
3:30PM – My brother is picking me up 🙂